Cooking a perfect steak is an art. It takes the careful choice of ingredients, proper preparation and understanding the recipe before you start. However, learning how to make an excellent steak will improve on your home entertaining skills.
Friends and family will enjoy visiting you more often when they know they get a taste of your perfectly done steak. The good news is that anyone and everyone can learn how to barbecue steak well. You can become a master with a few attempts when you carefully follow these tips. Here is the best way to cook steak on a barbecue grill.
You may have different steak preferences at different times. Whether it is a butter soft fillet, skirt or a thrifty cut, the best beef steak is prepared after careful consideration. Above all else, time is a crucial factor. Remember that only a few minutes stands between a good steak and one that is well done. The following tips come in handy when making the best steak.
Buy the right steak
Sirloin makes the perfect steak due to its melting succulent feel in the mouth. Look for sirloin with just has the right amount of fat. Alternatively, choose rump steak especially if you intend to fry. It has more flavor than sirloin but also tends to be extra chewy when improperly matured.
Make sure you consider the age of the steak. How long the meat hangs affects the flavor it acquires over time. It also tenderizes the meat. Only buy meat that has hung for a minimum of 21 days and a maximum of 35 days. The color of the meat should be deep red. There should be well marbled since it shows little streaks of fat throughout the meat. It is essential to choose meat that has a generous layer of creamy white fat on top of it.
Get the ingredients right
You need to gather all the ingredients first. You need garlic, salt, pepper, fresh thyme, rosemary and sage, lemon zest and extra virgin oil. Tools required include a cutting board, tongs and of course, your gas or charcoal grill to do the cooking on.
So, how do you cook the perfect steak on a grill?
Despite the different preferences in cooking steak, barbecuing remains one of the most common. You can never go wrong with a grilled steak. However, you need to learn how to do it right. The following tips will help you get the perfectly grilled steak in a matter of days.
Everyone knows the power of perfectly grilled steak; it can make grown men shed tears. However, this is only possible if it is properly browned with light charring on the outside. You do not want to be the one making everyone cry for the wrong reasons when your steak is too dry with no crusty edges to show for it. It cannot get any worse when the steak becomes gray. It can be overwhelming to grill the perfect steak with so many ways to get it wrong. It is no wonder that grilling steak is intimidating to most people.
Fortunately, this does not have to be your story. You can get it right once and for all. With a straightforward process, everyone can become a master at grilling. Your goal is to ensure you give your steak maximum flavor, evenly cooked insides and a rich brown crust that crowns your masterpiece. A great grilled steak starts with getting the basting right. Use the ordinary barbecue brush with rosemary, thyme and sage herbs. When these herbs touch the steak, their flavors are released into the meat. Make a fancy brush by tying these herbs at the end of a wooden spoon. Alternatively, you can tie the bunch of herbs using a piece of kitchen twine to make it easy to grip.
The chances are that you have heard of all restrictions on how meat should remain undisturbed once on the grill. Once the meat gets the browning after the initial placement on the grill, make sure to flip it frequently. You need to attain even cooking on all ends of the meat. As long as you are basting with butter then you need not worry about forming the wonderful crust since this will form naturally.
Step by step guide
- Get the steak out of the fridge an hour before cooking it to enhance even cooking
- Prepare herbal and dry seasoning and melt your butter
- Heat your grill to ensure it gets hot enough for grilling
- Season your steak as desired not forgetting the edges
- Dampen your hands when they feel too dry
- Oil the steak on both sides
- Put the steak on the grill
- Flip the steak frequently
- Baste with butter
- Continue flipping until you achieve your desired doneness, which you will know after conducting the touch test. Alternatively, you can use a thermometer to find out what you want. For rare steak temperature ranges should be 125 degrees, medium rare temperatures should be between 130 to 135 degrees and for the medium steak, it should be at 140 degrees
- Once done remove the steak and place it on a baking tray to rest
- Make your finishing dressing using virgin oil, lemon zest, pepper, and salt
- Slice the steak
- Dress the steak making sure to dredge the pieces in the dressing you created earlier. Remember to top up with the remaining juice
- Season and serve within the first ten minutes when it is still warm
Everyone can grill a perfect steak that would leave your guests and family members begging for more. Stick to these suggestions and hosting a garden party and get together will never be a problem again. Be consistent by choosing the right meat, selecting ingredients carefully, keeping time, and temperature instructions right.